As a leading nonprofit committed to youth development, the Y has been a leader in providing swim lessons and water safety for more than 110 years. The Hunterdon County YMCA continues to help youth and adults experience the joy and benefits of swimming, so they can be healthy, confident and secure in the water. To ensure that everyone has an opportunity to participate, financial assistance is available to those in need to help cover the costs. In addition, the Y offers a free Learn to Swim Program for all county 2nd graders.
The Y encourages parents to take an active role in fostering a relationship between their children and swimming—beginning with water safety. Following are safety tips to practice when in and around the water:
- Only swim when and where there is a lifeguard on duty; never swim alone.
- Adults should constantly and actively watch their children.
- Inexperienced or non-swimmers should wear a Coast Guard-approved life jacket.
- Parents or guardians of young children should be within an arm’s reach.
- Children and adults should not engage in breath holding activities.
To learn more about the Hunterdon County YMCA’s swim programs, please contact Flora Mannino at 908-483-4924 or email@example.com.