Erika’s Tricks for a Healthy Halloween
Tricks for a Healthy Halloween
- Plan ahead! It’s a holiday, which means we will celebrate with food. Don’t deprive yourself. Instead, fill up on vegetables, high fiber grains, fruit, and lean protein before that party. Leave room in your day for a sweet treat or two!
- Be active. The best way to counter a poor food choice and excessive calories is to get moving!
- Remember that sugar and sweets are carbohydrates. Go ahead and enjoy a Halloween treat, but have it in place of another carbohydrate – have a salad instead of a sandwich for lunch, skip the bread basket, and avoid pasta/rice/potatoes as a side with dinner.
- Include healthy seasonal foods in your everyday meals. Add pumpkin puree and a touch of real maple syrup to a breakfast smoothie, add sliced pears and toasted walnuts to a salad, add chunks of butternut squash to soups and stews, enjoy a cup of fresh apple cider, or even apple slices dipped in caramel sauce.
- Freeze the candy you love. Savor one piece as a treat and freeze the rest. You’ll spread the enjoyment out. It’s also possible you’ll forget what’s behind that freezer door!
Happy, Healthy Halloween!