The Hunterdon County YMCA continues its tradition of instruction in the style of American Isshinryu karate under Martial Arts Coordinator Sensei Jack Atwell.
Sensei Jack is an Ninth Degree Black Belt in American Isshinryu Karate. He has been teaching American Isshinryu for 34 years and has developed many very successful martial artists.
Martial Arts Classes
In accordance with the guidelines from governmental and health officials, and to ensure the safety of our members and staff, we will be taking the following measures:
- Advanced online registration required- class size will be limited
- Participants are required to sign an updated membership/ non-member waiver prior to the start of class. A digital copy will be made available upon registration, and paper copies will be available on-site as well
- Parents/guardians and any other non-participants must remain outside of the program area.
- Participants are required to undergo a (contactless) temperature check and brief screening prior to the start of class. It is recommended that you arrive 15 minutes before class begins.
- Mask is required during health screening and while in the building
- Students will be socially distanced from one another, maintaining a distance of at least 6 feet for the entirety of class. Instructors will remain observant and will issue reminders throughout class
Youth Martial Arts – Beginners
White, Yellow, and Orange Belts
Get your body and mind active! Beginner students will learn the basic blocks, kicks, forms, strikes and self-defense in the Isshinryu style of Karate. Students will develop their self-confidence, self-control and respect for themselves and others
Youth Martial Arts – Advanced
Ages 8–14 years
Advanced students will continue their journey in Isshinryu Karate with techniques and self-defense strategies. Develop stamina, mental focus and camaraderie with fellow students. Controlled sparring introduced.
Black Belt/Brown Belt Martial Arts
Ages 10 years and up
This is the time to learn advanced techniques and concepts. Students will pursue an in depth analysis of kata, sparring and self-defense, as well as the mental and spiritual aspects that will help them move forward.
Adult Martial Arts
15 years and up
Traditional Martial Arts class taught in a comfortable environment. Attain mental and physical growth. Learn to defend yourself, relieve stress and have fun.